Today the US House voted on the conference report for the Republican tax bill.
Like many Americans, I agree we need comprehensive tax reform. Unfortunately, Congressional Republicans took a partisan approach and are moving a bill that is not true reform, will explode the deficit, and is not primarily targeted to Working Families.
Any tax reform must include the following aspects:
- Put Working Families first;
- Support workers and enable them to invest in themselves and their jobs;
- Simplify the tax code to enable private sector growth and small business fairness;
- Promote innovation, entrepreneurship, and new business formation;
- Spur infrastructure investment and create good, well-paying jobs;
- Be fiscally responsible and built for long-lasting success by pursuing a bipartisan, transparent process.
I will not support any tax reform bill that falls short of these goals.